Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Merge

I'm getting my mojo back!! I realized today how much I love to write and how it helps me process through things. More importantly, it documents what is going on with my amazing kiddos! So, here's the latest of what's been going on for me.

I haven't written a whole lot about work, but the time has come that I do. For the past 5 1/2 years I have owned my own business with a friend of mine. In a nutshell we work with an outside evaluation company and write federally competitive grants for school districts. We then write our services into the grant; professional developments, educational coaching/mentoring, and we wrote a parenting curriculum that teaches parents of pre-K students the hows and whys of literacy. Now we are merging with another company and it is so exciting. A little fact someone shared with me is that only 2% of business owners ever sell their company or are profitable enough to be merged/acquired by another company. The percentage of women owned businesses that accomplish this is even smaller! Never thought about that, but it made me feel good!

We will become the education arm of this company. We are already planning bigger and better things than we eve would have been able to do on our own. We have the manpower to do it, we have the strategic plans to accomplish the lofty goals we have set and the passion behind all of it. However, the process and change that is coming along with it all isn't easy for me. I value stability and structure. This merge/acquisition will provide me that, but in the interim it's tough.

Today I finally accepted that it is completely okay that I am having a difficult time with it and it is hard. I also realized writing it all out will help me through this process and provide the structure I need. I am being challenged to grow professionally, to learn something new and that excites me. I don't ever want to be complacent. So, with all of that said, I am going to get back to writing, processing, telling my story, sharing my kids, my family, my life. And, I want to do it on a regular basis. Tomorrow is Jeremy's day so hold on for the ride!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Woohoo! i'm excited to be more connected to what is up with the Kohlers. I can't wait to see you guys this weekend.